For high school members, grades 9-12.
The House, Inc.’s EmpowerMEnt® Leadership Institute in partnership with the University of Virginia Darden School of Business is a dynamic, fully immersive leadership experience and certificate program for students in 9-12th grades.
A series of multiyear Disciplines, EmpowerMEnt gives high school students insider access to revolutions and evolutions underway to broaden know-how from high-level keynote talks, in-person trainings, and panels. Students also gain university immersion which includes residencies at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business. By the end of each Discipline, you’ll finish with some serious intel and advice you’ll use to the rise of your life.
Build your leadership credentials for your profile in a timely way and distinguish yourself in the college admissions process. Our certificate program allows you to become credentialed in leadership specialties with a curriculum tailored to you at The House, Inc. Upon completion of an EmpowerMEnt Leadership Institute program, students receive a Certificate in Leadership backed by the EmpowerMEnt® curricula partnership with University of Virginia (UVA) Darden School of Business and an official program transcript documenting the extensive work performed. Students also receive a letter of recommendation that may be submitted to college as part of the admissions process.
- Applications are open to students in grade levels 9, 10, 11, 12.
- Good humans. Members of the cohort will bring strong personal values. EmpowerMEnt Leadership Institute candidates will build an authentic, inclusive, and collaborative community that provides lasting values to include new and varied voices.
- We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity.
The EmpowerMEnt® Leadership Institute certificate program is a hybrid structure blending online and in-person experiences at The House, Inc. (Woodbridge, VA) during specified out-of-school time blocks and with residencies in Charlottesville, VA and Washington, DC. Session formats include:
» Case studies
» Business tours
» G.O.A.T. talks and panel discussions
• Personal Leadership Development
• Foundations of Business
• High Performance Team Dynamics
• Leadership Communications
• Ethics and Values-Based Leadership
• Designing the Future
• Decision Making
• Project Management
• Leadership Across the Disciplines
2020 DISCIPLINE 1 PROGRAM SCHEDULE*
(Alternate schedules are available for student-athletes with flex days for your ideal schedule.)
Module 1: November 9 and 10, 2019, The House, Inc.
Opening Residency: November 23, 2019, Charlottesville, VA
Module 2: January 16 and 30, 2020, The House, Inc.
Residency: February 15, 2020, Charlottesville, VA
Module 3: March 12, 2020, The House, Inc.
Residency: March 21, 2020, Rosslyn, VA
Module 4: March 30, 2020, The House, Inc.
Closing Residency: April 18, 2020, Charlottesville, VA
Capstone Project Program Thread: National Capital A Cinderella Ball, Washington, DC (Delivery: June 7, 2020)
EmpowerMEnt® Graduation: June 7, 2020
*All program schedule dates are subject to change. Supporting hybrid learning sessions and electives are not listed.
(Transportation for sessions is provided to/from The House, Inc., Woodbridge, VA)
COST: $800 tuition and $200 residency fees. Payment schedules are available.
Application opens: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 11:00am ET
Application closes: Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 11:59pm ET
- How do I submit my application? Applications must be submitted online at here. If you are submitting a continuation application for Discipline 2, an access code is required and may be requested from the EmpowerMEnt office. All applications are subject to additional, research, reference checks, and vetting.
- If I am not chosen, can I apply again during a future round? Absolutely! We’d be happy to review later applications from applicants.
- I have another question not answered here. How can I ask it? Send us a note! Write us at empowerMEnt@thehouse-inc.com.
- Is English proficiency required? Yes, candidates must be fluent in spoken and written English. All programming will be conducted in English.
- I missed the deadline. Can I still apply? No. We will not review late or incomplete applications.